Monday, January 12, 2015

The Creek Bed


You never step into the same river twice...

Riverbeds change, currents change, rocks and trees and other obstacles impede progress.

But if there is water, it will find a way to flow downhill.

Understanding a river at any one time does not mean you understand it for all time.  But understanding the forces underlying the river will help you to be able to predict how changes will impact other parts of the river.  It may not be the same river, but it will be recognizable as related to the river you stepped in last time.

The world we live in is like a river.  It changes all the time.  This blog is going to be my attempt to scratch out on the cave wall a little bit of my understanding of the world and what underlies the system.

I live beside a creek, which hardly flowed last year due to a beaver dam.  The picture of the changing river is one that I often return to.  What are the "parts" of the creek that I will want to look at?

1) Spirituality.  Influenced by my faith, my family background, and writers such as C.S. Lewis and John Eldredge, I see the spiritual world as a major factor in the state of the world we see and feel.

2) Economics.  I don't know how #1 will interact with #2, and I may end up splitting these blogs, but I believe that economics plays a large part in the local world that we end up inhabiting.

3) Geopolitics.  As taught to me by Stratfor, I see that geography often constrains politics.  We'll see how that plays out.

4) Technology.  Things change so fast in the tech space that it helps to look for the longer-term trends behind the latest iDevice.

We'll see how much of each category we get into as we go.  Look for updates more often than weekly, less than daily.  I will post links to each post on Facebook if you want to follow that way, or you can use the tools provided by Google to keep track of the content here.

Shalom!

David Block
Sandy Beach, Alberta

3 comments:

  1. Ah, Heraclitus: no man walks into the same river twice for it is not the same river and he is not the same man.
    You could write an essay on that quote. There's some interesting reading here (the whole blog, not just here), I like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, and thanks for the original quote - definitely one of those that hangs around at the back of your mind but I didn't put in the work to track it down.

      Delete